January 31, 2008

Yogurt


Making yogurt was way easier than I realized and doesn't have loads of sugar like the store bought kind.  We like ours with granola, fruit and a little honey.

Yogurt

4 c milk
1/2 c yogurt with active cultures (I use a small container of Stoneyfield Farms)
1/3 c powdered milk (optional, only if you want thicker yogurt)


You pasteurize milk by bringing it to 170-180 degrees in a pot on the stove - you don't want to boil it, so keep stirring as it gets hotter. Then cool it down to around 105 degrees and add your store bought yogurt to get those good bacteria going. Once you've stirred it up, you just let it sit in a warm place (I use my oven with the light on, but a friend uses her crock pot) for about 6 hours and you have yogurt!

Here is a step-by-step tutorial that was very helpful the first time.  But I promise if you can boil water, you can make yogurt.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!! Write more, write often. I will respond to each of them either here or on your blog (if you have one). Thank you for spending time with me - come back soon and share the love on pinterest, facebook, twitter or however you social network.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...