August 30, 2010

Orange Blossom Cupcakes

 
These were another one of the goodies I served at my recent party. I got lots of requests for the recipe, so here is it. It's a recipe I learned at the Whole Foods Cooking School, Salud, where I volunteer. The thing that caught my attention regarding these cupcakes is they are vegan. Now in our house a side of veggies is about the only vegan thing we eat, so I figured I would not like these cupcakes. Course, I'm willing to try anything. They were delicious! Seriously the yogurt makes them so yummy and moist. You don't even miss the eggs. Which also means...the kids can lick the bowl! My kids think this is the biggest treat. I think they like the batter part as much as the cupcake part. Check out the picture of my youngest son's face!

Orange Blossom Cupcakes (from Whole Foods)

1/2 c vanilla yogurt
2/3 c soy milk (or regular cow's milk)
1/2 c canola oil
3/4 c and 2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp orange flower water OR rosewater
1 c and 2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 c finely chopped pistachios (optional)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Get your muffin pan ready with cupcake liners. In a large mixing bowl whisk together yogurt, milk, oil, sugar, and flower water flavoring. Put the next five ingredients (flour, cornstarch, powder, soda and salt) in a sifter and sift those into the liquid mixture. Add the nuts if you like. Stir gently just until combined. Pour into cupcake liners til they are 3/4 full. Bake 20 minutes or until done. Cool on wire racks before frosting.

Frosting

1/2 c shortening
1/2 c unsalted butter, softened
3 1/2 c powdered sugar, sifted
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 c soymilk OR milk
1 tbsp orange flower water OR rosewater

Beat the shortening and butter together in a mixer bowl until fluffy. Add the sugar and start mixer on low until the sugar is combined. Then beat on med until fluffy again. Add flavorings and milk, beat another minute. Put frosting in piping bag if you want swirls, otherwise, just spread on with a spatula. Garnish with sprinkles, nuts, edible flowers, etc.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!! Write more, write often. I will respond to each of them either here or on your blog (if you have one). Thank you for spending time with me - come back soon and share the love on pinterest, facebook, twitter or however you social network.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...