December 13, 2010

Spiced Pumpkin Soup

 This soup recipe comes my my friend Judith who blogs over at...judithcooks.blogspot.com. She is a wonderful cook and I love everything she creates. I once had two baby showers to attend on the same day, at the same time. I chose the one Judith was catering! She's from Ireland and has the most lovely accent and a warm heart.

This soup was served at a New Mother's Tea. Our church, Fellowship Bible Church throws a bi-annual tea party for all new and expecting moms. It's a huge undertaking and such a gift for the attendees. Each organizer has talents that are put to great use. The creative ladies make beautiful invitations. The chefs prepare delicious food. The hostesses greet and make everyone feel comfortable. It's a fabulous party. I had to have another baby just so I could go again!

My family makes this every winter several times. The kids really love this soup since it's kinda sweet. Readers have asked how I get my kids to eat soup. Simple. When they were little I gave it to them in their sippy cups (lukewarm of course). Now they are bigger, I often serve the soup in mugs so they can drink it instead of dealing with a spoon. Course, having some fresh bread to dunk in the soup makes it even more fun!

Spiced Pumpkin Cream Soup
1 c onion, minced
4 tbsp butter
6 c vegetable or chicken stock
1 15oz can of pumpkin
1/2 c brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
1/2 c heavy whipping cream (I use 1/2 skim milk and 1/2 c cream)
1/4 c sour cream

Melt butter in saucepan and saute onions in pan until tender. Add stock, pumpkin, sugar, and all seasonings to the pan. Bring it to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cream (and milk) until the soup is heated throughout.

Serve in bowls or mugs with a dollop of sour cream and a pinch of nutmeg for garnish.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!! Write more, write often. I will respond to each of them either here or on your blog (if you have one). Thank you for spending time with me - come back soon and share the love on pinterest, facebook, twitter or however you social network.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...