February 3, 2011

Valentine's Day Fun Wreaths


This beautiful wreath is insanely easy and very inexpensive to make. It's the perfect Valentine's Day decoration for an indoor spot. And you'll never guess what it's made with....cupcake liners!

A friend of mine (who puts herself firmly in the "not crafty" camp) asked me if I could help walk her through making one. She saw it on Tatertots and Jello. We made our wreaths the other night and it only took about 1 hour of work, which was really spent chatting and laughing. ANYONE, and I really do mean it this time...anyone can do this super cute craft.
Materials:
  • cupcake liners, mine were patterned, but you could use any solid color
  • a foam wreath form, mine was 18" and  I used around 150 liners, but my friends made 8" wreaths and they used around 50 liners
  • ribbon
  • hot glue gun
First you need to wrap the wreath form with the ribbon. I overlapped a satiny hot pink color on mine and sealed the end with a dab of hot glue. Then you need to put a dot of hot glue on the top of the wreath. Scrunch up the bottom of a cupcake liner and press it carefully into the hot glue (warning: insert burn liability waiver here and best medicine for burns).
After it cools just a second, you can move to the next section. Working in sections ensures the liner has a chance to harden before you add more hot glue and loosen all your work. See the photo below, I have started in different places to give it a chance to cool. Then I went back around again and again, each time adding another liner to my original.

Finally filling in all the gaps and ending up with magical fluffiness!

After I filled in the whole top of the wreath, I flipped it over and checked to make sure I had filled it out far enough over the edges. You could fill in the sides if you like a fuller looking wreath.


Then I hot glued a patterned ribbon to the back. My friends each attached their ribbon differently. I think the smaller wreaths could just use a strip of ribbon or a small loop.

Ta-dah! Now the only problem is my 5 year old wants the wreath in her room because it is cute pink and fluffy.

This is the other wreath I made this year was during our big snow. I had a ton of leftover candy canes from Christmas. {I buy them when they go on sale after Christmas because my animal loving husband takes them to the horses. Apparently horses like peppermints - who knew?}


I saw a cute candy cane lollipop idea in Family Fun Magazine and decided you could make this into a wreath. I hot glued the candy canes and added a centerpiece of chipboard and a felt flower. It's very fragile, but the canes are still in their wrappers so if they break, at least the decoration will still hold together. A friend who saw it jokingly said I could use it for Christmas and just leave it up for three months. Now that's what I call multipurpose.
 
Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. These are so cute! I came over from Pinterest. I hope it's ok for me to post these on my blog, with a link to you. Please let me know if that is a problem, and I will remove them. Thanks for the inspiration! laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link. I'm so tickled you shared.

      Delete
  2. so cute! i will be sure to try this out over the weekend and maybe even be able to send pictures your way!

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog from Pinterest. Love your wreath and your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christin,
      Come back soon. I enjoyed visiting your blog.

      Delete
  4. just pinned this wreath and heading to walmart to give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!! Write more, write often. I will respond to each of them either here or on your blog (if you have one). Thank you for spending time with me - come back soon and share the love on pinterest, facebook, twitter or however you social network.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...