July 20, 2011

Burrito Bowl

 
This is one of my favorite summer recipes. It doesn't require heating up the oven or too much cooking at all, when I often find my kitchen motivation waning since it's just TOO hot.
If you've ever been to Chipotle, you've heard of a burrito bowl. We have some friends who moved to Australia (the ones I made the Pavlova for, which is another amazing summer recipe) who introduced us to Chipotle. I figured for a fraction of the cost, I could make something like their burrito bowl at home.
Burrito Bowl
(this is one of those recipes where "exact" doesn't enter the picture)
steamed rice
black beans
chopped lettuce
chopped tomatoes
chopped avocado

shredded cheddar cheese
chopped black olives
sour cream
The only cooking part of this recipe is the black beans. I rinse out the can of beans and dump them into a pot. I add salt, pepper, cilantro, minced onion and minced garlic. Give it a big stir and add olive oil and some chicken stock. Let these simmer on the stove for 30-60 minutes.

When ready to serve you can use my taco/ oatmeal trick or plate them up yourself. Start with the rice and then beans. Add all of the other toppings as you like. You can "mix, mix, mix" like Bee Bim Bop or just enjoy the randomness of what appears on your forkfull.

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Chris mentioned this salad in her post, so I had to stop by and check it out. It does look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I missed this comment that you left because it wast birthday. I hope you enjoyed the bowl. It's an often requested favorite at our house. I'm going to make it tonight for dinner in fact. And I adore Chris!!

      Delete

I love reading your comments!! Write more, write often. I will respond to each of them either here or on your blog (if you have one). Thank you for spending time with me - come back soon and share the love on pinterest, facebook, twitter or however you social network.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...