February 19, 2012

Crusted Butternut Squash Wedges


During the winter I love cooking with hard winter squashes, but sometimes I feel like I'm in a rut. I make butternut or acorn squash soup, we have roasted squash. I microwave it and serve it mashed with butter and salt. I needed something different. I finally found it with this recipe I discovered in one of my neighbors hand-me-down magazines. I adore hand-me-downs like those - thanks Trish!

This recipe sounded fancy and looked fancy, but ta dah, turned out to be pretty simple. I'm thinking it's the perfect recipe to keep in my arsenal for company when I want to whip something up, but not work too hard. All you really do it slice the squash (in the recipe they call for pumpkin, but I used butternut and it was perfect). Then you mix up the topping and sprinkle it over the slices and roast. See??? I told you it was easy!! And guess what, it's delicious too. Always a bonus :)
Crusted Butternut Squash Wedges
Yotam Ottolenghi

Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs of butternut squash (or pumpkin)
1/4 c olive oil
1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese (fresh is best)
3 tbsp dried bread crumbs
3 tbsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried thyme

zest of 1 lemon
2 garlic cloves
salt and pepper
sour cream, optional

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut squash into 3/8 inch wedges (this part is pretty important as you want the slices to be uniform so they will all be cooked at the same time) and lay them on a greased (or lined with a silicone mat) baking sheet. Brush the slices with the olive oil.

Mix the cheese, bread crumbs, and seasonings together in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the slices until they are completely covered.

Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, until fork tender. Can be served with a dollop of sour cream, but I didn't think it needed anything. The seasonings make this a very flavorful dish.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I have Ottolenghi's book "Plenty" and I have barely opened it since I got it. I love this recipe---you have prompted me to explore it further.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!! Write more, write often. I will respond to each of them either here or on your blog (if you have one). Thank you for spending time with me - come back soon and share the love on pinterest, facebook, twitter or however you social network.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...