February 20, 2012

Soft Pretzel Bites


Two months ago I started participating in what's known as the "Secret Recipe Club". You may remember the homemade Butterfingers. The fun of this adventure is discovering new recipes and bloggers, never knowing what to expect. It's all a big secret until Reveal Day when we all find out who made what from who's blog.

I opted for something salty this time - Soft Pretzel Bites. I've made Soft Pretzels before but we made them in the traditional twisted shape. This recipe forms them into much easier to shape "nuggets". The other difference that I was curious about is the use of butter in making them instead of shortening. I wondered if it would change the texture or make the dough more difficult to work with. I'm happy to said it did neither and this dough worked perfectly for us. Just keep in mind, using butter means these pretzels won't keep fresh as long as the shortening ones, so plan on eating them or freezing them. I did both and the frozen ones were just as delicious when thawed on the counter at room temperature.
The recipe comes from the blog Making Memories created and nurtered by my twin-in-another-life, Erin. Just like me, Erin is a little obsessed with Family Fun magazine. All you have to do is search either of our our blogs for Family Fun and you'll see tons of things we've done - many of them the exact same projects (we just made the gumdrop arrows for Valentine's Day)! I actually cracked up when I saw the header photo on her blog because she has a photo of the milk jug Halloween ghosts just like the ones hanging in our basement right now!! Now if we could just get Family Fun to hire us as testers - right Erin?

Erin is one of those people that I'm in awe of. She's a single mom with two precious kids. I really am amazed at single moms. I mean there's no break, no..."wait til your Daddy gets home to deal with you". And she's not just going through life, she's making a FUN life with her obviously happy kids. She makes time to say, "yes" and I love that about her. Much of her blog is creative and clever ideas for crafts, gifts or goodies. When I read the recipe for Soft Pretzel Bites it sounded like she decided to make them almost as a challenge and she was pleasantly surprised at the results. They turned out better than she expected and easier than she expected. I hope you take the yeast challenge and your results are as delightful as Erin's.

Soft Pretzel Bites
(recipe originally adapted from Bobby Flay)

Ingredients
1 1/2 c warm water
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 pkg active dry yeast (or 3 tsp of bulk yeast)
1/3 c unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
4 1/2 c flour
vegetable oil
-----
6 c water
3/4 c baking soda
-----
1 egg beaten with 1 Tbls. cold water
Coarse sea salt, poppy seeds, sesame seeds

Combine water, yeast, brown sugar in glass measuring cup to allow yeast to proof (which is a fancy way of making sure the yeast is alive and awake). If you don't get foam in about 5 minutes you may have killed the yeast with water that was too hot OR it's not awake because the water was too cold OR the yeast is too old. Yeast is the big scary part of yeast breads (that's why it's so prominent in the name - to scare you off). Really yeast is easy, you just need to make sure it's alive and kickin. Proofing is way to make sure you aren't going to end up with unrisen flatbread. Once you have proofed it, you know it's gonna all work out. If you don't get foam, just throw away what you mixed up and try again. The water should feel warm to your fingers, but not hot.
this is what it looks like when the yeast is first added to the water (with a sprinkle of brown sugar)

this is activated yeast: foamy and smells yummy
Once your yeast is all foamy goodness, pour it into a mixer bowl and add the melted butter. Make sure the butter has cooled so it's not raging hot and kills the poor little yeasties. Mix on low to combine. Add the salt and 3 1/2 cups of the flour into the bowl and mix on low speed until combined. This is where a dough hook and a stand mixer come in handy, otherwise you are kneading the dough by hand on the counter. Incidentally, you could easily start this recipe in a bread maker appliance, just take the dough out after the first rise and hand shape it and continue following the recipe from there.

You want to knead the dough in the mixer for about 5 minutes until the it's smooth, adding small amounts of the remaining 1 cup of flour a little at a time until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl, forming a ball. You may not use all of the flour if it's a dry day or you may need a little more if it's a humid day outside, but you shouldn't vary more than 1/2 c more or less in what you need. When the dough is "right", the sides of the bowl should be really clean and the dough should all be gathered around the dough hook. The dough should feel soft and elastic. "Like your tummy", my darling 6 year old innocently stated. @#!! Ah the honesty of kids!

Put your dough into a clean greased (is that an oximoron?) bowl and cover it loosely with plastic wrap. Let it sit in a warm place (you may remember I use my turned off oven with the light on in the winter) until it doubles in bulk. This should take around 1 hour unless your kitchen is pretty cold. You can figure out if yeast bread is ready with the poke test. You poke your finger gently into the risen dough and see what happens. If springs back - then it's not ready. If the dent stays put - it's perfect. If the poke makes the whole thing collapse - then it's overrisen and you need to start over from the kneading stage to try to salvage it. All of this SOUNDS complicated, but it's not - I promise. You just have to try it out to see really it's not hard. It takes a little planning since there is waiting around, but it's not hard. When the dough passes the poke test, you need to gently deflate it by folding it or "punching" it down. That means put your fist into the middle of it. It's not a shazam move, but more of a gentle push. Then let the dough rest for 5 minutes or so (which means just leave it alone for a few minutes).
While the dough is resting you can get ready to make pretzel magic. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Then you need the secret to turning regular bread into pretzels. The trick is to boil the dough in water before you bake them - that's what gives it the lovely chewy texture. Last time, I wasn't too sure about put raw bread dough in pot of boiling water with baking soda. I mean, that sounds kinda gross, but it works. Whoever discovered this technique must have been a little crazy. *Do I hear a homeschool lesson coming up??*

Put your 6 cups of water in a pot or deep skillet and add the baking soda. Bring that to a boil.

Instead of watching and waiting for the pot to boil, go ahead and shape your bites. Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces, using a bench knife makes this much easier (my 8 year old was happy to volunteer). Roll each piece into 22" long ropes. If the dough is hard to stretch, it hasn't rested long enough. Then cut the rope into small bites approximately 1" wide. You can roll these into or just leave them cut like tiny squares.
By now your water should be boiling and you are ready to cook. Drop the individual pieces of dough into the boiling water working in batches. Watch as they magically rise to the top of the water within about 30 seconds. When they float fish them carefully out and put them on greased (or my favorite silicone mats) cookie sheets.

When you have a tray full of boiled bites, brush some of the egg white mixture over the top and sprinkle with course salt, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, Parmesan cheese, whatever floats your boat.

Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Watch carefully so they get brown, but not burned.
A few minutes after these started coming out of the oven, everyone of my kids was clamoring for some. I don't think they even waited for them to cool off. Even the baby stuffed one in her mouth. That girl loves her food just like her Mommy! :) Thanks Erin for sharing this bite sized snack!

Don't forget to enter my giveaway for two silicone baking mats to celebrate my birthday today!!
Photobucket

32 comments:

  1. You are so amazingly sweet. Thanks for all the nice words. Now I'm off to check out your blog. I'm so excited! Excellent job, by the way!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretzels are on my list to make this year, these pretzel bites look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so easy, I'd love to hear when you make them.

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday! These pretzel bites look amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the birthday wishes. It was a wonderful day.

      Delete
  4. Love these little salty, chewy bites! With a little mustard and I'm a happy girl! Great choice from a great blog! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all over the mustard too. A pretzel NEEDS mustard.

      Delete
  5. Them problem with'bites', it's tough to stop eating them! Seems a lot easier than twisting pretzels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda,
      It was definitely one of those "duh" moments when I caught on - bites are WAY easier.

      Delete
  6. I have been wanting to try pretzel bites for a long time - this didn't help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you, Erin's blog is a very special one and I know she loves doing all those fun projects with her kids. I'm looking forward to trying this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great choice for SRC, these look so delicious! So glad to be in Group C with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Butter, butter, butter. That is OK with me. I would be happy to eat these up before they go stale! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy! I love soft pretzels and actually made a version for Super Bowl. Believe me, there weren't any left to put in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually made these for the Super Bowl too. Of course I couldn't post until my birthday :)

      Delete
  11. I love the additions you put on top of these pretzel bites!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love poppy seeds! I checked out your blog yesterday, love it.

      Delete
  12. I've always wanted to try pretzel bites. Your recipe makes it look doable. thanks. Great SRC pick. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not lead you astray. They are easy I promise.

      Delete
  13. I have long wanted to make these and now I have a wonderful recipe. Glad to be part of SRC group C with you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always wanted to make these and you've inspired me.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A' SRC entry: Crunchy Fudgy Heart Bites

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these! I have never made pretzels, but I plan to make you bites right away! Visiting from SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my word! I've never tried making pretzels before, but I think you've just convinced me. These look soooo delicious. I've pinned these so I dont forget to make them. Great to be in group C with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Look so delicious and easy, but two questions: how long do you bake them, and for what temperature? Totally am not seeing this here, so I'm gonna be guessing,but it all looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becia, I'm cracking up! Guess I got so excited about the end result, I forgot to type that part in. It's 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes. I added that {important} part in. Thank you!!

      Delete

I love reading your comments!! Write more, write often. I will respond to each of them either here or on your blog (if you have one). Thank you for spending time with me - come back soon and share the love on pinterest, facebook, twitter or however you social network.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...