June 18, 2012

Baked Oatmeal Cakes

For Father's Day breakfast I wanted to make something quick this year. Usually we go all out and cook eggs, bacon, grits, pancakes biscuits, fruit salad, sausage, jam, honey, coffee, orange juice - pretty much everything breakfast! My husband adores breakfast, so it's how we celebrate. This year we went out on a limb and changed things up. We grabbed a quick breakfast and headed to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens to enjoy this incredible weather. It has been absolutely perfect outside lately and we've taken advantage of every moment. Lucky for me, when searching for my special breakfast, I had an easy place to start. It was Secret Recipe Club time and I was assigned the food blog NYCityeats. The blogger, Lacy has tons of breakfast recipes. The girl likes her breakfast, strike that, the girl likes her food. So nice to be in good company.

I searched around the blog, but quickly decided on something with oatmeal, since I'm a little obsessed with the stuff. All you have to do is search my blog with the word oatmeal and you'll come up with all kinds of things, like oatmeal bread, oatmeal snack bars, instant oatmeal, and the ever requested "Help Yourself Oatmeal". Lacy calls these "Granola Mini Cakes" which sounds pretty fancy, but in my house we named them Oatmeal Cakes. The recipe was very simple and I actually put together the batter the night before and then baked them in the morning. I didn't make the icing from the original recipe, but I did add a little extra sugar to the batter. We scarfed them down with a few slices of bananas and some freshly picked blueberries from the backyard. This was a easy fast breakfast that the whole family enjoyed. MacGuyver was very thrilled with his Father's Day presents: a homemade birdhouse, newly stained picnic table and lawn marking spray (so we can have soccer and football games in the yard). And I think he enjoyed breakfast, although he did mention, he'd like eggs next weekend. :) I love you babe!! You are the most wonderful Daddy around.


Baked Oatmeal Cakes
Note: this only makes 6 cakes, so you may want to double the recipe
Ingredients
2/3 c flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
3 tbsp vanilla nonfat yogurt
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c milk 

1 egg
2/3 c oats

Preheat oven to 350. Whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon & salt together in a small bowl. Mix sugars, yogurt, oil, vanilla,egg and milk in a large bowl. Stir in dry ingredients & oats until blended. Scoop 1/4 cup batter into 6, nonstick spray coated, muffin cups & bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 min. Serve immediately.



To see all of the recipes that were secretly made, click on a thumbnail below.

Photobucket

13 comments:

  1. Your Oatmeal Cakes look as though they would make a very nice breakfast! Gotta love those guys...guess he had his own vision of breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like I will be having these yummy looking muffins for breakfast on the go this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look fantastic! I'm glad you were able to find a good breakfast from the blog, I am a bit breakfast obsessed...really anything that tastes good! lol! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also an oatmeal fan! I'll check your blog for more new oatmeal recipes. This looks like a yummy breakfast. When I eat oatmeal--in any form I feel healthy! Great SRC pick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm! Anything with oatmeal and I'm in!! Awesome pick for SRC - great to be in group C with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blueberries from your backyard! I wish we could grow them here. I think it is too hot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these - the perfect way to enjoy oatmeal on the go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a huge oatmeal fan and what a perfectly delicious way to enjoy it. I've been wanting to go to the botanical garden...one of these day's I'll take my daughter.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group "A" SRC entry: Candied Popcorn.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look delicious! I just love muffins for breakfast. So easy to eat as I'm running around like a mad-woman in the morning trying to get us all ready for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look like a fantastic breatkast on the go! Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What yummy looking muffins! I bet they would freeze great too! I stock my freezer full of muffins and such for my kiddos to have for breakfast on busy mornings. These would fit right in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. how great that you can get these ready the night before and then make them in the morning! Now all I need is an oven at work :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a cute and delicious idea !

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!! Write more, write often. I will respond to each of them either here or on your blog (if you have one). Thank you for spending time with me - come back soon and share the love on pinterest, facebook, twitter or however you social network.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...