February 6, 2013

Butternut Squash Bean Chili

Difficult season of life right now...

My Dad is terminally ill with cancer. My father-in-law had a major car accident and is living with us for a bit. 

At this point, functioning is difficult. Writing complete, coherent sentences with correct spelling is a challenge. Please forgive my choppiness. I need sleep. 

I'm taking comfort in food which is a dangerous place to be. I know me - stress equals eating. 

I need to make healthy things. Vegetarian chili comes to mind. We have a butternut squash and out came this. Warm comfort in a chocolate bowl.


Butternut Squash Bean Chili

Ingredients
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil


2 onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp lime juice
2 14.5 oz cans tomatoes, undrained
2 14.5 oz cans any beans (black, red, pinto, etc), drained and rinsed
2 c butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1lb)
Salt and Pepper
Sour cream 
Chopped fresh cilantro

Heat oil in pot over med-high heat. Add onions and cook until soft and beginning to brown, stirring often, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and jalapenos, stir 1 minute. Add spices: chili powder, cumin, oregano and lime juice, stir 1 minute. Add in tomatoes with juice, beans, and butternut squash. Cook with lid on until squash is soft, about 20 minutes. Stir the pot around 10 minutes, add water if necessary. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with sour cream, cilantro, and lime wedges.
 
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Aimee--
    I am so sorry about the hardships you are enduring. I wish I could send over some more comfort food. Cooking is a way to take your mind off of things. I am sending good thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Aimee, I'm sorry to hear about your dad and your father-in-law. My father-in-law was just diagnosed with terminal cancer less than two weeks ago. It is definitely a challenge. We're trying to squeeze as much as we can into whatever time we have left. I hope you're able to spend some good time with your dad. I'll pray for you and your family.

    BTW, the chili looks awesome. I just tried butternut squash, roasted, for the first time last month. It tastes like candy and I've been roasting it at least once a week. The chili sounds really interesting, especially when I'm trying to do no meat meals a few times a week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!! Write more, write often. I will respond to each of them either here or on your blog (if you have one). Thank you for spending time with me - come back soon and share the love on pinterest, facebook, twitter or however you social network.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...